By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. These ensure the smooth running of our services. Learn more.

« art and chaos | HomePage | late night visit »

Sunday, October 01, 2006

county fair

I'm feeling old. Must be the heat. I can't imagine spending the whole day at the fair. But I'm sure people still do. We did when I was a kid. It was a very big deal to be a member of 4-H. Taking the lamb to show in the ring. Baking six perfect bisquits and rushing them down for judging. Things were different then. My mom was a stay at home, always available type. And the fair was the high point of the year.
I was pleased to see that the Best in Show for the textiles group (I think) was a handwoven wool blanket. It appeared to be of handspun, naturally colored wool in plain weave. There were a lot of blue ribbons, not many whites and very few that didn't have any ribbons. Maybe because of lack of space those entries without ribbons or only whites were taken home after judging. My daughter took an information packet about entering. There are a number of classifications that she could enter things in. There didn't appear to be anything entered in leatherworking which seems strange, because when I was a kid, the guys all made their own belt with their name on the back and a huge metal buckle to wear with their FFA jacket. My husband could fill an entire display case with his leatherwork, but we'd have to dust it off first!medium_2006-10-01_038.jpg
My granddaughter thought they should change the name of the County Fair to the Carnival because she liked the rides the best. Carousel, ponies, race cars, turtle cars. She would have liked to try even more of them. I'm not a big risk taker, carnival rides are real low on my list of must-do things before I die. I haven't been on a Himalaya since the fatal accident on one when I was a teen. I'm going to hate it when she gets big enough to ride the really scarey ones.
Of course, we ate county fair food - sausages, lemonade, funnel cake, snow cones. The snow cones were the best. I could have sucked down a dozen of those. Maybe that would have cooled me down! The baby was pretty sweaty but he stayed calm in his stroller as long as it was moving along or back and forth. We found a shady corner with a bench to sit down so J could feed him and he came up smiling after that. He doesn't like riding in the car. Wears himself out crying before he finally gives up and goes to sleep. He just can't understand why we aren't picking him up out of his car seat - crying frantically always works at home!
I took a shower and a nap. Still feel like I walked twenty miles uphill.

21:00 Posted in family stuff | Permalink | Comments (0)