By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. These ensure the smooth running of our services. Learn more.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

packing and shopping

So now she will sit around and be nervous until I take her to the Post Office for her flight to Australia. Her bag is packed, she has a hostess gift, a little money and her passport.

I couldn't sit and hold her hand while she fretted about whether this was a going to be an easy hop or not, so I went shopping.

Picked up a bunch of stuff at the dollar store for prizes for Art Camp. My daughter and I are in charge of the challenge this year. Thrums. You have to use 'em to make something. If you're not a weaver, thrums are the leftover strings when you've finished a project and are cutting it off the loom. There is about a half yard of waste at the end of the warp and it can be quite a big handful - always seems a shame to toss it out, so we are challenging the weavers to make something of it. It's long enough to stitch with, make tassels with, lots of things. You never throw anything away, right? so you know.

The prizes are going to be really neat. We got a bunch of stuff and we're going to.... well, it has to be a surprise. I'll let you know later. Even take photos. But you'll have to wait until March.

The other thing I'm working: ATCs to send out for birthday RAKs. I've already sent two out for the early ones, but these are getting a little more futz on them. Having a good time.

Waited all weekend to post this photo. Trouble in paradise. But it's all right now....

Sunday, November 25, 2007

long weekend - long post

Four day weekends are grand. I could use one of these every month. I worked so hard yesterday, I am sore from head to toe today. I tried to work smart - lots of things going at once: the printer, the laundry - while I carried the holiday decorations downstairs with each run down to check the laundry or up to check on the printer. I have just about all the album pages printed for the Art Camp gang.

I found a new paper called ViaStone. I am not affiliated. But it looks pretty good and is not made from trees. Maybe it's recycled? I dunno, the labeling is kind of secretive. I also bought ink of the new Vivera Plus variety. Looks better than usual. But the old one was completely out of yellow so I couldn't do a side by side comparison.

I also worked on my homework for a virtual class in art quilts that I signed up for last week. It is a two way learning opportunity. We are learning while the teacher learns about how her virtual class software works with input from us. Fun!

Cleaned up selected areas around the house and in my workroom, too. But something always bursts out of place when I do that. Like fabric when you're looking for just the right scrap of color. And dishes seem to pile up when the grill king takes control of the shopping and cooking but not the cleaning. Never mind, he does a really nice steak and we had pumpkin pie with pumpkin sauce on top and pumpkin sauce on ice cream and cheesecake and pumpkin sauce as dip for ginger snaps as well. We are heavy into desserts right about now and seem to have a self perpetuating container of pumpkin sauce.

The granddaughter is painting pictures (and sniffing) while I type. She has a cold but the Boogie boy was better last night. Not so cranky and needy and he ate a better dinner than he did the last couple of times at bat. Usually there is more around the bull pen than in the strike zone.

This is the Boogie Zone of the tree.

She and I decorated the tree last night. She caught on quick that some things can't be hung down low since we'll have a toddler in and out of the house over the next month or so. So with each ornament, she asked, "Can this go in the Boogie Zone?"or "This one will be fine in the Boogie Zone!" Some things are too fragile, some things are too tiny, some things are too precious, some things have special memories. She loved pulling things out of the boxes, some she remembered from last year. She liked hearing about the things that her mom had made a long time ago and reading the years written on them as though it were so long ago...1986???? Wow!

One of the reason my muscles are sore is that I tried to come with a way to wind a warp that wouldn't strain my shoulders. Instead the muscles on the top of my theighs are aching! I put the warping board on the trunk and tied it leaning against the weaving bench for support. Then I sat on the sofa and wound the top part while standing and then sat down to wind the bottom half and so I was constantly sitting down and standing up. Quite an aerobic method. My shoulders are okay, but man, going up and down the stairs today is killing me. It's always something, isn't it, Rosannadanna?

One of the round robin collages came to me on Friday. I'm the last stop on this one. I was gonna think about it but they really are like a monkey on my back. Once I see them I can't seem to stop thinking about them till I add something. This one needed some buttons and some Shiva paintstiks to carry the colors around the whole piece. I think it looks super. I wish I could post it a scan of it but since it's a collaborative piece I'm not sure of the protocol on this. I should ask that group what they think.

I missed a frog last Friday so here's one to satisfy your need for green.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

skipping over Monday

If you just pretend that Monday doesn't arrive immediately afterward, then it was a very nice weekend. My daughter stayed the night on Saturday and we went to a weaver's meeting on Sunday. We shopped for stuff we really needed and what do you know, there they were the four chartreuse napkins I've been "needing" for years and on sale for ten cents each. I woulda bought a dozen but there were only four.

Then we stayed up late and she stitched on a shibori project while I cleaned up the floor of my workspace and put a binding on the quilt journal for May. I woke up Sunday morning feeling pukey but decided it wasn't a big deal and we went on to the meeting after putting the stitched scarf into soda ash to soak. We had a great time with the weavers and I put some beads on the journal quilt while she did a dynamite sunprint on a large piece of fabric which she will probably use in a pieced kimono style jacket. I hope she posted a photo of it. I kind of ran out of energy toward the end of the afternoon and when I dropped her off, the kids were wild and crazy. The grandson wanted to get picked up and get down and get picked up and get down. I bet he still has a tummy ache.

Monday I stayed in bed. Wish I was there still.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

book of quotes

One of the projects I didn't have time to finish at Art Camp. I am slowly working my way through putting things where they were before Art Camp (notice I am not saying "putting away"). Since I enjoy making books, I really wanted to finish this. Of course, I trimmed all the pages to exactly the same size and punched them individually. Time, time, time. All the quotes were selected and printed by the campers. Various papers, various styles of decoration. The original idea was that we would further decorate them before assembling, but I like each page the way it was presented. Some are bare bones, some pretty fussed up. The quotes make a very unusual collection. I'm not sure who brought which ones, but I love reading them.

00:45 Posted in Art Camp, quotes | Permalink | Comments (0)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

color blend

ten fat quarters ... rinsing took forever....
Lost more color than I hoped. The blending was fun though. I'll probably do more but soak the fabric in the soda ash before hand instead of blending it in the dyebath.

07:50 Posted in Art Camp | Permalink | Comments (0)

1 2 Next