By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. These ensure the smooth running of our services. Learn more.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007


Sometimes in a frenzy, sometimes in awe, we opened our presents on Christmas Eve. Many of them handmade with love and thoughtfulness. The store bought ones selected carefully to please the recipient no end.

My English muffins from scratch turned out great. The grill king did his magic in the evening. We toured the neighborhood to see the lights. The travelers are off today on visits to family in other states. The weather here is beautiful and crisp. We are quietly getting to know our new toys today and enjoying the sweet goodies leftover from yesterday. Later I'll try another new recipe, crab cakes with wasabi mayo and we may even go to the movies.

I've been emptying a bobbin every day at the loom and feeling very virtuous about it. Also, finished off the coffee cup cuff that J started yesterday. One last gift for the coffee enthusiast in Fort Worth. I also got a little time at my work table. All in all, I'm enjoying the long weekend and not looking forward to going back in to the office. At least, things are at a stand still because everyone else in the world is taking long vacations and no business other than retailing is taking place. The phones will be quiet. Hopefully, no crisis will occur until 2008.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

not affiliated and dead cars

I have been using Picasa Web Albums to host my photos here since I was in danger of using up all my alloted free space on blogspirit.com with photo albums. But I only just downloaded their photo software (Picasa2) today and I am blown away by the way it works. It has lots of interesting features and editing capabilities and the fact that I can now upload an entire pile of photos instead of just five at a time is just the ultimate in time saving. Wish I had known that before I uploaded the cruise photos - I would have done all 283 of them instead of just 50 or so.... well, maybe that wouldn't be a good thing from your point of view?

Both our cars were dead this morning. I was two hours late for work and the grill king had to catch a ride with a co-worker. His was "fixed" while we were on the cruise but died about a mile from home. When he called me to rescue him, mine wouldn't start. So he called his garage to tow in the little truck and come give mine a jump start. The suspense is killing me. Will mine be dead again this evening when I try to start it after work? Film at 11:00. Seriously, I will take a photo of the darn thing sitting there not running if it comes to that. This could be the year I make it into a raised flower bed. I could easily calculate the amount of potting soil necessary. I'm thinking maybe, bananas in the middle seat so they could grow right up through the sunroof, daisies on the dashboard, and ivy trailing out the liftgate in the rear.

Thursday, September 06, 2007


You never know when opportunity will smack you in the face. Wow, a new vehicle, a new job, the open road, I'm a very experienced driver ... exciting to think about.
You know I'd like to own a new vehicle and my loom would certainly fit in the back of this truck. Wish I could read that phone number....

Saturday, September 01, 2007

long after saturday's gone

Seems like this past week went by kinda fast. The hours passed slowly but the week was gone in a flash. I haven't slept very well lately, keep waking up and tossing and turning.

We celebrated the grill king's birthday - he grilled the steaks. Corn on the cob was cheap and sweet as candy. The key lime pie didn't have time to set up - party was moved up a day and then I burned the first crusts so we started over and kinda rushed the recipe. But key lime pudding is just as tasty. Fortunately key limes are in season at just the right time as it's his favorite dessert.

I bought him a high tech toy and ordered a handmade card from etsy. The card hasn't arrived yet, but it will be cool even if a little late - a little book of squirrel haiku and illustrations. The toy is a turn table. We have some old record albums and the old stereo system is not hooked up properly any longer (but of course, we can't get rid of it....). This is one of those new turn tables that transfer records to MP3 files and comes with software that is supposed to clean up the noise of very old records.

The most amusing thing about it is - once you've done all your records, you don't need it any more, right? So we're passing it around the family and then maybe it will find its way to eBay. Of course, we won't get rid of the record albums ever. We live in The Museum of Useless Stuff, you know.

I had lunch on Friday with a weaving friend. We went to the Moveable Feast near my office. She applied for a position which I think would be perfect for her. This could work out well for everyone concerned. I can't help but look forward to this on so many levels.

The granddaughter is sleeping over and all that includes. A long bath, cartoons on TV in the morning, pancake making, and some little art project that is fun and quick to do.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

party is definitely over now

It was sunny outside my window at work most of the afternoon but we had a hideous morning. Pouring down rain and thunder and lightning on the way to work. Then about an hour later, the lightning strikes the transformer in the alley behind us and we all jump about ten feet in the air. It's the same transformer than has been fried before. Luckily we have a medical facility in the building, so we can get bumped up higher on the repair schedule at the power company. Back up in less than an hour.

We're working along fine for another hour then, BOOM, it gets hit again and we are out worse than before - more circuits are off and power backups are buzzing from every office. Our elevator may be fried this time and the power company takes more than an hour to get here and another hour to get it taken care of the second time. We had kind of a happy hour in our kitchen with the building managment and some other tenants stopping by for crackers and dip. We had enough flash lights to loan out to people going to the rest rooms and we even had to loan our UPS scale to the clinic cause they weigh patients before and after dialysis. The bottled water delivery guy said he'd try and come back Friday after the elevator gets fixed. It may be a while before we have bottled water again....

My boss was out on a site visit and I thought I would get caught up finally.... no such luck. Well, tomorrow is another day, Scarlet. Her daughter is on her way to Puerto Rico for a friend's wedding and she's in a panic because there's another storm heading for the islands. The daughter calls me from the airport and doesn't even know what airline she's on - evidently can't find her paperwork, and I have to look on her email, fortunately she calls between blackouts or the girl would have missed her flight.

I started watering the lawn yesterday after work 'cause we've had three really hot dry days (up to now!) and the grass and plants looked like they would be dying in about two minutes. I forgot about the water running while I was upstairs on the computer. About 10 pm, it's pouring down rain and my husband volunteers to go out and shut off the water for me. So the grass is really watered now, you could say....

Cheez, what a day. It's supposed to rain more - bands of storms still in the gulf. Fortunately I didn't have to drive home through the worst of it.

I think I need to go buy some hurricane supplies, we've been clearing out the pantry lately and it's looking bare.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next